Running again, with my older (Willbe) and new (Darian) training partners. FitOldDog is doing well.

Running again, with my established (Willbe) and more recent (Darian) training partners. FitOldDog is doing well.

Deb enjoying a walk through the Autumn leaves of a North Carolina Fall

Pumpkin trail, being enjoyed by Deb, but not today as she had to go to work 12-12 in the ER!

My surgeon informed me that I should be able to run again two weeks after my surgery, which was exactly two weeks ago. I considered this to be too ambitious, and planned to start running after three weeks. I was invited for a walk by our friend Darian this morning. More accurately, Darian actually asked if she could take Willbe for a walk, as she loves the company of our yellow lab. I was also invited, fortunately. We covered 4.5 miles of the local Pumpkin Loop trail, along with excellent conversation, and during which time we could not resist several short runs. Darian is a cross-country runner and marathoner, getting back into running, so I was in esteemed company, athletically speaking.

Workout:

Walk 4.0 miles.

Run 6×100 yards – felt great. Out of shape, but coming back.

It was a good day! Thank you Darian and Willbe.

Important Note: These posts do not provide medical advice. You should always consult your physician before undertaking or significantly modifying an exercise program.

Copyright © 2010 Kevin T. Morgan aka FitOldDog, Old Dogs in Training, LLC.

Post Footer automatically generated by wp-posturl plugin for wordpress.

About Kevin Morgan

About Me: Senior Scientist Ironman Triathlete & Blogger. Carrboro, NC. Mantra: safe exercise for better health through improved mind and body awareness. Business USP: use the experience of an actively competing scientist Ironman triathlete with an abdominal aortic aneurysm stent graft to develop a safe approach to exercise for better health through improved mind-body awareness, if you have diabetes, heart disease, cancer, obesity, other health challenge, or you are simply dealing with the effects of aging. Marital Status: Partnered Ethnicity: Caucasian
This entry was posted in exercise and health, Exercise Tips, Running and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to FitOldDog’s Daily Training Diary (Day 14) – From Aortic Surgery To The 2014 Lake Placid Ironman

1. Glenn Jones says:

Hi Kevin,

Just a quick couple of questions. What drugs (if any) has your surgeon prescribed for you and are you suffering any side effects. I found that I don’t tolerate Plavix at all well, but I am presuming that you aren’t on Plavix.

Also, just to share an anecdote, when I had my cardiac stent procedure, I asked my cardiologist when I could start running. His response was, “not before th weekend.”. I took him at his word and did a very slow run/walk 5k, which was apparently very dumb! I didn’t realise that he was joking about the weekend -because he didn’t realise that I wasn’t joking when I asked the question!

Rgds, Glenn

• Kevin Morgan says:

Deb taught me to never joke with MDs in a professional situation. Nope, not on Plavix, just aspirin and a herbal medicine for the inevitable prostate hyperplasia – comes after bifocals. A cardiac stent is fluid dynamically very different to an AAA stent, as you know, due to the heart being perfused during diastole. How is your running now? I was VERY surprised that I felt like running today, but it was a truly wonderful, though brief, experience. Happy New Year, here we come. Kind Regards, Kevin

• Glenn Jones says:

The running is so-so. I set out with a plan to run my 17th Sydney City2Surf, which is a very hilly third of a marathon. I succeeded in plodding through the race, but things have kind of been downhill since then (pardon the pun).

The plavix has impacted adversely on my lungs and also my energy levels, but I still run 5km or eliptical cross train three-four days a week and am getting back into weightlifting and have started TRX a couple of days a week. I find it a constant struggle with the fatigue but it is worth the effort. I occasionally have a ‘rolled gold’ day where everything just feels right and I treasure those days as there is usually a PB involved. It sounds like you had such a day today. Good stuff!

Have a happy and peaceful New Year,

Rgds, Glenn

• Kevin Morgan says:

Why Plavix and not aspirin? They both inhibit platelet aggregation, with aspirin completely blocking all existing platelets from the second phase of platelet aggregation, thus reducing risk of growth of thrombus. If I remember correctly, the half life of human platelets is about 10 days, so a small dose daily does the job. I’ve got a massive stent, but I’m only on aspirin, and I would avoid any other platelet inhibitor and track down the lysinate (see below) if it were me . I don’t trust 99% of cardiologists, by the way, or PHARMA. I watch what I take, and learn new side effects on a regular basis. The side effects of aspirin are potentially significant (tinnitus, stomach bleeding – much reduced if you can obtain aspirin lysinate – and many others, but minimal risk at 81 mg/day). It is one of the few wonder drugs I know, with hundreds of years of testing. Why were you put on Plavix? That would be my first question.

• fitolddog says:

Can’t believe I published this 23 years ago. Where does time go, I wonder? It’s been a while since I thought about aspirin lysinate! Not available in the USA.

Acta Hematologica –

Acta Haematol 1980;63:177–184
          (DOI:10.1159/000207395)
          Original Paper

Effect of Aspirin and Aspirin Lysinate on Platelet Function in Smokers and Non-Smokers
          Morgan K.T.·Duchosal F. · Rogg C. · Miescher P.A.
          Battelle Geneva Research Center, Carouge, Geneva, and Haematology Division, Cantonal Hospital of Geneva, Geneva

Abstract
          “When administered orally, both acetylsalicylic acid and acetylsalicylic acid lysinate produced an increased bleeding time, reduced platelet adhesiveness and inhibition of the second phase of ADP-induced platelet aggregation in the majority of subjects. The effects on bleeding time and adhesiveness were similar for both drugs. Platelet aggregation studies demonstrated slight differences between smokers and non-smokers, in both control samples and in response to the two drugs. It is concluded that aspirin lysinate should provide a good candidate for clinical investigation, to assess its value in the treatment of thrombotic disease.”

Morgan KT = FitOldDog!

• Kevin Morgan says:

Hi Glenn, I forgot to answer your drug question (see below) – aspirin, 81 mg/day, and I just dropped the Lisinpril, but will have to monitor BP. Surgeon agreed on the aspirin, with only three post-surgical subcutaneous doses of heparin, whilst I was in the hospital. I’d get off Plavix and onto aspirin ASAP if it were me, based on the mode of action.