This blog, and the FitOldDog brand, were created in direct response to a major health challenge. An abdominal aortic aneurysm, detected as a result of odd things happening during the 2010 Lake Placid Ironman. I was 67 years old at the time, and fit as fiddle!
This precipitated my departure from a 40-year career as a veterinary pathologist and researcher. A career I had enjoyed immensely.
Having no-one to talk to about my situation, I reached out through the Internet. I found plenty of inspiring people, and many others needing encouragement and reassurance.
FitOldDog was born.
Why the name? I am a veterinarian and an endurance athlete. A brand or logo was needed for my work.
I wanted to inspire and encourage. A friend, was jesting with me, and said, “Kevin, you old dog, you.” I thought, “OldDog.” Not bad! The URL (web address) was already taken. So I added fit, to make FitOldDog!
That’s me! FitOldDog. I plan to stay fit and enjoy life for as long as I can.
My business, Old Dogs in Training, LLC, is slowly evolving. As I seek ways to change the world for the better.
You, too, can overcome challenges and enjoy life as you age.
Just be a FitOldDog!
My most popular posts:
Over-coming health challenges and injuries
- Aortic Surgery Recovery Guide
- Thoracic Aortic Dissection Awareness – Living With Aortic Disease Can Be Tough
- If Your Health Status Has Changed Don’t Live In The Past, Embrace Today While You Can
- Exercise Following Corrective Surgery For Aortic Dissection
- Informed Advice Needed On The Question Of Whether It Is Safe To Play Golf With An Ascending Aortic Aneurysm
Plantar Fasciitis Treatment
- I Fixed My Plantar Fasciitis With A TriggerPoint Performance Therapy Roller
- Postulated Plantar Fasciitis Progression To Find Your Optimal Therapy
- Plantar Fasciitis Treatments Comparison, Benefit Over Risk Assessment – A Picture Is Emerging
- The Plantar Fasciitis Survival Guide Versus The Approach Of FitOldDog And Rebecca
- Do Older People Need More Recovery Time?
- Tennis-Induced Wrist Pain – Every Injury Is An Opportunity To Learn And To Improve Your Sport
- You Can Make Anything Boring If You Try Hard Enough, With Water Running You Don’t Have To Try
- Book Review – The Masters Athlete by Peter Reaburn
- Safe Exercise For Better Health
- Hey Senior Citizens! You’re Not Too Old To Exercise, Or Even Do A Marathon Or An Ironman, 50+ Is The Perfect Age To Start
Kindness To Animals
- The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword – Rachel Carson, Animal Experimentation, And Conflict Resolution
- You Don’t Have To Be A Vegan, Animal Rights Activist To Save The Animals!
- Veterinary Tales To Save The Animals: Pigs Like Sweet Beer
- From Bacon To Vegan, To Save The Animals, With Some Dry Needling Along The Way!
- Why Do We Eat Animals?
- YOU CAN Save The Animals! The Plant-Based Veterinarian Measures His Small Contribution.
- Research Biologists, You Can Save The Animals!
General advice on healthy aging and the nature of life
- A Master’s Degree In Science: In Defense Of My Colleagues In PHARMA
- I Meet Lots Of Persians And I Like Persian Food But Where Is Persia Anyway?
- I’m Not A Biochemist, But It Made Me “Sit Up And Blink!” Pyruvate, And So Early!!!
- A Trip Down Evolutionary Lane With FitOldDog’s Walk-Run Trail Workout For Fun Exercise
- Staying In Shape Has Great Benefits – Dolphins In Hawaii!
- FitOldDog’s Anti-Aging Toolbox For Healthy Aging
Endurance (Ironman) Training
- The Link Between Pedal Cadence And Heart Rate On The Bike
- Hypoglycemic Versus Dehydration Bonking During Endurance Sports
- Bioenergetics And Healthy Nutrition: You Make Fat From Sugar, But Not Sugar From Fat
- Your First Ironman In Your Fifties; A List Of Eleven Training Tips By FitOldDog
- Engage Oscillatory Systems For Optimal Ironman Training As You Age, With Thoughts On Water Running And Plantar Fasciitis
Finally, my favorite post
I think it is the most useful thing I’ve written so far! Not many agree with me, but that’s life. I wrote it in response to a request for advice from a serious golfer. Alan! Who became a friend! We have a common interest in sports and aortic disease!
- FitOldDog’s YouTube Channel
- FitOldDog Save The Animals Tees, Mugs And Other Products On RedBubble
- FitOldDog’s Books On Amazon